FEMA Disposal of Fire/Smoke Detectors (PDF)
DuPage County Recycling Information (PDF)
Ionization Smoke Alarm Recycling (PDF)
Unwanted Medication/Sharps Disposal
Household Hazardous Waste Drop Off Facility
Willow Springs Electronics Recycling Program
West Cook County Solid Waste Agency
Recycling Apps for Android & iOS
Recycling reduces waste and conserves natural resources. While most items are recyclable (most plastics, glass, boxes, and even old smartphones), there are still a few (like batteries, plastic bags, and some clothing) that end up in landfills. It can be hectic trying to remember what can and cannot be recycled; luckily there are mobile apps that can help with that.
- Litterati: Litterati can be found in iOS and Android stores and is free for both users. The app was created to encourage people to recycle by turning it into a fun, friendly challenge. Users find a recyclable item, take a picture of it, place a geo-tag on it, and inspire others in their area to do the same. Litterati relies on these geo-tags to accurately measure pollution in different areas.
- myWaste: myWaste is available for iOS and Android, and is free for everyone who is a part of the WasteCare group. The app has a dashboard, invoices and statements, job data tools, and more that helps businesses remain compliant with the latest sustainable regulations, all while reducing recycling costs.
- Olio: Features of Olio include the ability to connect with people in your neighborhood and local shops to share food items with one another, instead of throwing them away. It’s simple to use and is available for those with either iOS or Android, and is completely free.
- PaperKarma: PaperKarma gives customers the ability to opt-out of receiving junk mail like catalogs, credit card offers, local mailers, and more. The app is available for iOS and Android and offers a free trial for those who are interested. However after the trial ends, customers will need to pay a fee of $1.99 a month, $10.99 for six months, or $19.99 for a year.
- RecycleNation: Available for iOS only, the RecycleNation app is used to help customers find recycling locations nearest them. The app is free to download, and offers recycling tips, the ability to track your environmental impact, and much more.
- Recyclebank: With RecycleBank, members who live in a city partnered with the company can earn points by recycling. They can then convert these points into local deals, donations, or exclusive savings.
- iRecycle: iRecycle is free to download on iOS and Android devices and is used by customers to better understand what is recyclable and what type of bin to dispose it in. It also provides information on how to recycle, why you should do it, new innovative products and services, and how to reduce waste in your home.