TRI-STATE FIRE PROTECTION DISTRICT
Date: May 17, 2015
To: DC Just
From: BC Reynolds
Subject: Firehouse Subs Grant
Below you will find a timeline for the Firehouse Subs Grant for the new boat, motor, and trailer. If you have any questions please let me know. I will also include a brochure for the boat and motor.
- May 2014. I found out about the Firehouse Subs Foundation and the grants that they had been awarding. I looked into the requirements of the grants and found out that we would qualify for one. Note: When completing the application, I had to include what Firehouse Subs location is closest to our district. I used the one in Orland Park. The owners of this store are the same ones who are now building one in our district.
- May 16, 2014. I completed the application and provided the supporting material that was required. The application was completed asking for a new zodiac boat, motor, and trailer. The total grant amount requested was $19,921.00.
- July 1, 2014. We received notification from Firehouse Subs that we had been awarded the grant in the amount requested.
- July 15, 2014. Firehouse Subs placed the order for all the equipment requested in the grant.
- Late September 2014. Received the new motor from OTC in Florida. Boat and trailer arrived about 10 days later from Michigan.
- October 2014. Started training on boat.
There are a few features of this boat that I feel are worth mentioning.
- The new boat has a 30HP motor that is equipped with a jet drive pump. There is no propeller. This is much safer for our rescuers and victims.
- The floor of the new boat has a rigid aluminum floor. Our previous boat had an air floor, which was very difficult to stand and operate in.
- Having the boat inflated on trailer will allow us to deploy it much faster than in the past.
- The boat has been involved in two incidents this year already. First it went to River Grove on an interdivisional dive box, and second at the dive box we had in district.